The Lead Systems Engineer is responsible for driving implementation and supporting projects and activities for client's on-premise and Cloud servers and related technology platforms. The Lead Systems Engineer provides work direction and mentoring for other Systems Engineering team members and collaborates with technology architects, operations staff, and business leads to ensure implementation and support of strategic solutions for the enterprise. The areas of focus for this role include Windows Server Infrastructure including Active Directory, deployment scripts, automation, implementation, process development, and technology integration. You will also influence Cloud Infrastructure and take an Infrastructure-as-Code approach to building in the cloud and strive for automation whenever and wherever possible. This role also drives the development of policies and procedures that are consistent with company goals, industry best practices, and regulatory requirements.
• Accountable for the installation and configuration of Windows Servers and corresponding software, including working with application and database engineers to implement Enterprise architectures and systems that utilize industry best practices.
• Deploy, manage, automate and scale cloud and on-premise technical computing services to support product development teams
• Help identify and migrate on-premise workloads to the Cloud (Azure).
• Work with technical teams to resolve issues, install, and test upgrades and customizations.
• Monitor assigned systems and applications performance to maintain agreed to performance metrics. Take proactive steps to improve performance when necessary. Escalate issues to management.
• Participate in technical on-call services as needed to ensure timely and high-quality incident resolution.
• Participate in cross-training, architectural design, capacity planning, and recommendations for future state.
• Partner with App Dev and Infrastructure teams on evaluation and feasibility assessment of new systems and technologies
• Document infrastructure systems, process flows, and support processes.
• Participate in cross-training, architectural design, capacity planning, and recommendations for future.
• Use continuous deployment tools to provide a seamless deployment process to all environments.
• Define changes to the application infrastructure in Azure and guide the Engineers in the setup/changes and implementation of new technology solutions.
• Accountable for developing standards and processes for system management. This includes leading the effort to implement redundant systems, policies, and procedures for disaster recovery to ensure effective protection and integrity of infrastructure platforms, device connectivity, client computing solutions, and stored data assets.
• Drives tasks necessary to fulfill service level agreements with end-users regarding system allocations, performance, limitations, security, and availability.
• Works with the Senior Systems Engineer(s) to incorporate changes to the standard change control, incident response, and testing processes. This also includes: anticipating, mitigating, identifying, responding to, and resolving issues with infrastructure devices and client computing solutions.
• Accountable for the monitoring, analyzing, and predicting trends for system equipment performance, space allocation, and data growth to recommend enhancements to the IS storage team. Also, reviews and verifies server/database transaction and security audits leading to identification and mitigation of security threats to enterprise data. Drives recommendations and implements changes where necessary.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Management Information Sciences, Mathematics, Engineering, Business, or area of functional responsibility preferred, or a combination of equivalent education and experience.
• 8-10 years of working technical experience with designing, building, installing, configuring, and supporting Windows servers and management software on-prem and in the cloud.
• Expert understanding of architecture design techniques, theories, principles, and practices.
• Previous leadership in infrastructure architecture and client solutions design initiatives.
• Expert level understanding and configuring Active Directory (Sites and Services, Trusts, Schema Changes, Group Policy), ADFS, DNS, Windows Server OS, LAPS, AD Certificate Services.
• Strong Scripting experience required with strong focus on PowerShell
• Strong understanding of Security Best Practice.
• Significant experience with Cloud Technologies, preferably Azure.
• Strong understanding of VMWare.
• Ability to effectively prioritize, delegate and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language to all levels of management and staff.
• Experience with SCCM / MECM.
• Significant experience with PowerShell.
• Automating software deployments / patches to 1,000 servers.
• Experience working in an agile development environment.
• Proficiency with version control systems e.g. git, SVN, CVS .
• Experience with SQL and databases.
• Experience in designing and implementing a continuous integration pipeline (CICD).
• Experience with Azure Automation and Hybrid worker.
• Experience working with clients to implement SSO.
• Team-oriented and skilled in working within a collaborative environment.
• Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
• Able to effectively prioritize tasks in a high-pressure environment.
• Strong customer service orientation.