The Connected Architect will have a broad knowledge of cloud-native architectures, experience with reference architectures and an understanding of modern development practices. This position is responsible for ensuring solutions are aligned to the business and technology strategy, leveraging enterprise components, and the overall advancement of our client's technologies. This position will require exceptional communication skills and the ability to communicate appropriately at all levels of the organization.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide architecture direction aligned to our business strategy for all components of our connected ecosystem
- Previous experience with architecting for the applications supporting connected vehicles and connected accessories
- Broad experience across infotainment, mobile apps, web apps, and connected cloud with a focus on integration across platforms
- Preferred experience in powersports or other connected industries including automotive, commercial, or heavy equipment.
- Develop long-term strategies and roadmaps to simplify, modernize and digitize the portfolio of connected products. Utilize data centric designs that provide modern cloud-based architectures interfaced with a quality API strategy
- Collaborate with other architects to define and maintain blueprints for an enterprise architecture strategy ensuring integration across global applications
- Leverage technology standards and roadmaps to ensure IT solutions are best aligned to business and IT strategic goals.
- Designing and deploying dynamically scalable, highly available, fault tolerant, and reliable applications.
- Researching, identifying, recommending, and documenting applications, data, platforms and infrastructure for solving and supporting new systems
- Participate in development of technology roadmaps based on requirements of current and future business needs
- Maintain relationships with key technology vendors in partnership with technology delivery team leads to understand and influence vendor capabilities, key trends, and product direction
Our client has 30,000 motorcycles on the road today and plan to scale up to 300,000 connected vehicles in 3 years and well beyond that in 5 years. They need someone who understands how to architect at scale a connected environment spanning from client devices to the cloud applications.
They has done a good job with security thus far but recognizes that they need a person who can bring security experience from other OEMs. The team has to make a buy v build decision(s) for many components and it’s important that they have someone who understands the security. This includes data protection (in transit and at rest), authentication and authorization, IAM, infrastructure and device security, and configuration and vulnerability analysis.
Build vs. Buy:
The team is considering building their own IOT environment or creating a hybrid environment that would work with a vendor's. Today, many of the vendor solutions are focused on automotive, and this focus only gets them halfway to their goals. They think there might be a need to build their own solution but need an architect that can weigh the pros and cons of Buy v Build decisions and of using things like AWS IOT/Greengrass and potential integrations patterns to a vendor. In addition, if they chose to build, they will need to have someone with experience in connected clients.
Data Drive Use Cases:
This is lower on the manager's priority list, but it still makes the list. As they bring in data from the connected devices whether that is from their own internal cloud-based platform or a vendor, they need to architect a solution that will stream the data into our data platform/data lake. An understanding of data architecture will be needed for this piece of the work.
SKILLS, & KNOWLEDGE:
Experience working with companies that provide comparative at-scale (300k+ devices) experiences in OTA, Device Mgmt, Cloud Services, Firmware, Vendor Selection
Streaming, Events, API(course, micro), Batch, Webhook, GraphQL, Pub/Sub, Queues, Async Req/Reply, Throttling, Fault Tolerance
MQTT, Device Mgmt., Cloud and Edge Based Compute
Buy v Build Analysis for connected vendors, Gap Fit Analysis, Business Process Architecture, System Interaction Diagramming, Tool Selection Process
Data Storage and Data Architecture:
Relational, NoSQL, Data Lake, Time Series, Graph, Data Latency, CQRS
Data Protection (at rest, in transit), Authentication & Authorization, IAM, Device Security, Vulnerability Analysis