Program Managers provide structure and support the overall vision for a collection of projects with multiple workstreams (e.g. web development, advertising, media, strategy, technology, etc). They are responsible for overseeing the project management of multiple projects at a time across multiple brands or clients by a team of project managers, and ensuring the overall health of the projects in their portfolio (financials, resources, risks, relationships).
The Program Manager serves as “Lead” on client accounts and is accountable for the Delivery Management team’s organization, operational efficiencies and health within their assigned projects. Within that role the Program Manager will be responsible for supervising one or more project managers and/or senior project managers. They will interface heavily with senior marketing, technical, and executive management within the client to assure that the solution is understood and addresses the customer’s business requirements.
Program Managers will directly manage at least one of the projects in their collection of projects. They will also ensure that the challenge and requirements are understood by the team and will participate in the solution developed by the team. They will also be responsible for delivering accurate financial management of the accounts/brands to which they are assigned and for delivering improved account margins. In addition to the project responsibilities, Program Managers will also participate in the business development process.
Core Duties and responsibilities
- Has a solid understanding of the client’s business, their needs, expectations, and requirements.
- Collaborates with the project team in determining the approach, deliverables, schedule and tools to deliver the project within established constraints. Develops processes for project delivery, from scoping through execution and closure.
- Works with client team as well as any and all members of assigned project teams to estimate costs and timing for tasks such as project strategy, functional design, visual design, technology requirements, etc., utilizing established estimating process and tools.
- Ensures the feasibility of project delivery given scope, time and budget constraints across collection of projects
- Works with Client Engagement to obtain and document client signoff at key points during projects.
- Coordinates activities of the project management team and has overall responsibility for delivery health of projects in the collection of projects (whether by managing projects directly or by managing project managers on projects). Ensures that project management team is handling core functions of the PM role, such as: scheduling and facilitating project-related team meetings (i.e. kick-offs, status, internal/client reviews, etc,), communicating action steps to team, and delivering weekly status reports to project team, the client and management.
- Coordinates all activities of the team for any projects being managed directly and ensures that project tasks are completed by: scheduling and facilitating project-related team meetings (i.e. kick-offs, status, internal/client reviews, etc,), communicating action steps to team, and delivering weekly status reports to project team, the client and management.
- Develops, maintains, reviews and/or disseminates all project documentation and ensures that the project management team is developing, maintaining, reviewing and/or disseminating all project documentation including status reports, invoices, change orders, project schedules, budgets, and post mortem reviews. Ensures that all project documentation is produced in the standard format, follows internal documentation processes and is reviewed and approved.
- Manages vendor/third party relationships (i.e. such as photographers, stock photo services, and video production).
MONITORING – SCHEDULING, FINANCIALS, RISK MANAGEMENT
- Manages and controls project scope and the change control process to ensure that projects are completed according to schedule and within budget. Oversees project management team to ensure that projects in the assigned accounts are completed according to schedule and within budget.
- Responsible for delivering work within sold margins. Also responsible for identifying and communicating issues causing margin changes and proposing solutions to margin challenges for the collection of projects.
- Responsible for raising and maintaining awareness and identifying and driving solutions to issues and risks across the collection of projects.
- Responsible for accuracy throughout the project financial lifecycle for all projects within the collection, including estimates, revenue forecasts, invoicing, payables, receivables, etc. Is also responsible for developing processes for project and account financial management.
qualifications & Experience
- 7-10 years of experience managing interactive projects, preferably in a consulting or agency environment.
- Proven experience working with Sr. Business stakeholders understanding requirements and keep track of everything at program level.
- Bachelor's degree required, Master's degree preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of one or more of the following: software development life cycles, web technologies, web development processes and the delivery of solutions with creative and engineering components, media and advertising projects, digital strategy projects.
- Advanced understanding of project management methodology including the ability to identify and resolve issues, manage risk, develop detailed work plans and specifications, perform resource allocations and run team meetings.
- Ability to work on multiple projects and manage multiple project coordinators, leads and/or managers at one time
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Demonstrated ability to motivate staff/project team, inspire teamwork and take a leadership role
- Ability to solve complex problems with keen instincts and organizational experience
- Expert Microsoft Project and MS Office skills
- Must be able to simultaneously focus on big picture, details and driving results
- Strong knowledge of contract interpretation and negotiation
- 2-4 years of people management experience